On December 9th, 2016, KK arrived in ChengDu and gave a vivid speech in JinJiang Hotel, touching upon topics like AI, VR etc.
KK has an optimistic belief in future technology and he thinks we will find many materials and evidences in the length of history or vastness of the land that science and technology improves our lives constantly. And he believes everything is in a steady manner and humanity will not perish suddenly.
Continue reading for the detailed speech outline reported by Science Fiction World magazine.
The detail of a future product is hard to predict but the formality of the future technology is not.
The trend of AI is in fact “the trend of Congifying”.
- IQ is a broad word and cannot be described via a simple direction line, it covers many dimensions (as shown in the below picture).
A comparison of Animal, Human and AI, they all have their advantages and disadvantages.
AI is not the center of IQ, on the contrary, it is marginal.
More intelligent modes will emerge, because no matter in the field of science or business, people will encounter more challenges in the future and need more new intelligent systems to solve them.
And AI is a different thinking mode in comparison to human brain, it can be used to help us as it will become more and more intelligent and brought us many enlightment and benefits.
- Just as electricity for the industrial revolution, the future AI will be relatively cheap and purchasable, therefore it can free more man power and change our life styles. For example, maybe in the future the quality of a car is not determined by horsepower but by “brian power”.
- AI robots can work 24hours a day without complaint, we will be in control and work with the machines, not against them. And robots will make new jobs for humans.
For those jobs where productivity is not important, like art, research and innovation etc, we can leave them for humans. Because innovation, just like science, is a process of continuous trial and error. It is very time consuming, but can only be done by humans.
Be it for chess players or for doctors, a mixture of man working with machine is the best.
- VR（Virtual Reality）made its first appearance early in 1989, but it is too expensive then.
VR is the next platform for smart phones.
VR and MR (Mix Reality) is an inevitable trend. MR is a more powerful technology, it can blend into our real world and can provide not only virtual view and sound but also touch, taste and scent. MR technology is great, people can interact, entertain and experience an incredibly rich world with the help of MR products.
- The significance of VR：Will be the most social of social media, because it can make everything feel so real.
- VR brought us both sharing and tracking: anything can be shared will be tracked.
For example, we tracked our fitness, heart rate and sleeping quality etc., it is a process of self quantification.
In the future maybe everybody will have their own daily health record. The self quantification will be more deep and vast, which will brought us customized medicine and services.
- “Co-veillence” can optimize “tracking”, we supervise others and others supervise us. We want to have “private and generic“ space while enjoying the “transparent and personalized” service. But many people’s privacy gives way to their show off.
If we go back to 25years ago and show our friends mobile phones and tablets etc., they wouldn’t believe it.
So we should have faith in these impossible and insane things, because we are at the birth of the beginning.
We still have a long way to go as there are no experts in AI, VR etc. fields. The greatest products of the next 20 years heve not been invented yet.
KK mentioned that his prediction is usually wrong than right, because human’s prediction ability is limited, however we can always learn from mistakes.
In the future, what people should learn is how to ask a question, as the AI can provide a very precise answers.
That is the path for a better human.
（Well, so what is the right question for the answer of 42?）